Monday, October 13, 2014

Can I get You a Hot Beverage?

Over the past few weeks I have been drinking more tea in addition to my morning coffee.  My throat has been sore and sticky while the rest of me remains hale and hearty.  Since Thursday I have consumed about 4 gallons of hot tea.  I found a great Traditional Medicinals sampler pack for cold season--almost gone, and bought a box of the daily detox to speed up the process.

There is something inherently comforting about tea.  Yes, it is tonifying to the body, but I feel it nourishes my whole being.  When I bring the mug to my face and inhale the smell of hot herbs, it makes me smile.  Holding the warm cup in my hands close to my chest warms me physically and emotionally.

Growing up in Wisconsin hot beverages were a winter go-to and I still go there when I feel punky.  Escaping into a warm beverage is the best thing I can do for myself and the closest thing I have to stepping into the past when I was the child and was taken care of.

I have had tea with my grand mother, my mother nad my aunts.  Tea usually came with hugs and talks and cuddles.  I admit I miss being the baby and being helpless and in need of care.

When we grow up, it is assumed that we are done and if we need something we will get it for ourselves.  Especially is we are capable parents, spouses, or employees.  We are taught that this is normal, and we learn to believe that needing comfort is a sign of weakness, so we deprive ourselves and look for a crutch.

Somehow, in our society, it is more acceptable to turn to drink and drugs than to ask for a hug and have a good cry.  I am not saying this applies to everybody, or is even true all of the time.  When something tragic happens, if we are unaffected and not sad, then we are seen as heartless and closed off.

I am an introvert by nature, I have outgoing qualities, but most of my work is done in my head and on this page.  "I'm a writer, a poet, a genious, I know it..."-Beastie Boys  I process through words.  When the words get all mixed up in my head and wake me up at all hours, I must release them to the wild.
Once on a page, they lose their mystery and I can see them for what they are.

A hot beverage, like this coffee, keeps my insides warm as I pick through my brain vomit.  A healthy mind yields a healthy body.  Healthy relationships support our Spirit, prayer feeds our Soul and lets us know we are not really ever alone.

I admit, sometimes I want to be 5 years old again.  Small enough to crawl into my parents' bed during a thunderstorm and know I am safe and okay.  Now, I am the mother and my baby isn't 5 anymore either.  Time marches on and if we are wise we move with it.

Most of my personal discomfort has to do with "the flow".  Either I am trying to move faster than it and exhausting myself, or I am trying to swim slower or backwards which is futile and keeps me in one place.  The beauty of being an introverted philosopher, is that I can recognize these moments in my own life, observe them, name them and work with them.

It is here I share my knowledge and experiences with my outer self, and you.  Next time you are enjoying a nice cup of tea, or coffee, imagine we are together, healing, and sharing warmth.







No comments:

Post a Comment